Dear Students and Faculty,
I am delighted to extend my warm welcome to all of you. It is with great enthusiasm and a deep sense of responsibility that I take on this role, and I am excited about the journey that lies ahead. I am truly honored to be a part of such a talented and dedicated community of faculty and all the current and prospective students aspiring for pursuing academic and professional careers in sociology and its allied fields of specialization.
Sociology, as a field of study, holds the key to understanding the intricate tapestry of human society, its structures, dynamics, and the forces that shape its evolution. In our department, we are committed to exploring the diverse dimensions of social life, from the micro-level interactions to the macro-level global patterns of social and cultural transformation.
As we embark on this academic journey together, I want to emphasize the importance of collaboration and open dialogue. Our department is a platform for intellectual exchange, critical thinking, and innovative research. I encourage each of you to contribute your unique perspectives, engage in rigorous debates, and seek new avenues of exploration for applying sociological lens for understanding social issues and offering empirical research-based workable solutions.
To our esteemed faculty, thank you for your dedication to imparting knowledge and nurturing the minds of our students. Your mentorship plays a pivotal role in shaping the next generation of sociologists, and I am excited to witness the impact of your guidance.
To our diligent students, I extend my heartfelt congratulations on choosing to study sociology. Your curiosity and enthusiasm are the driving forces behind our academic community, and I am confident that your time here will be full of buoyancy and transformative with cherishing memories for life.
As we move forward, let us keep the spirit of inquiry alive and embrace the challenges that come our way. Together, we can make meaningful contributions to the field of sociology and society at large. I am eager to work alongside all of you and witness the growth and accomplishments that lie ahead.
Feel free to reach out to me with your ideas, concerns, and aspirations. My virtual door is always open, and I am here to support and collaborate with each of you.
Here’s to a productive and inspiring journey together in the Department of Sociology!
Welcome to the Department of Sociology, a dynamic and vibrant academic hub dedicated to exploring the intricate tapestry of human societies and behaviors. With a commitment to academic excellence and the holistic development of our students, our department stands as a beacon of knowledge, fostering a deep understanding of sociological phenomena and equipping students with the skills they need to thrive in a rapidly changing world.
Nestled at the intersection of social sciences, our department boasts a rich array of diverse fields within the realm of sociology. Our academic programs encompass a wide spectrum of subjects, ranging from the study of social inequalities, cultural dynamics, and global trends, to the analysis of human interactions, institutions, and the impact of technology on society. By offering a comprehensive selection of courses, we cater to the intellectual curiosities of our students and provide them with a robust foundation to explore the multifaceted dimensions of human existence.
What truly sets our department apart is our unwavering commitment to the professional grooming of our students. Beyond the classroom, we provide a nurturing environment that encourages critical thinking, fosters effective communication, and nurtures leadership skills. Through experiential learning, research opportunities, and engaging seminars, we empower our students to become agents of positive change in their communities and beyond.
Our esteemed faculty members are not only accomplished scholars in their respective fields but also dedicated mentors who guide students on their academic journey. Their expertise spans a wide array of sociological disciplines, ensuring that students receive a comprehensive education that is both intellectually enriching and practically applicable.
As the global landscape evolves, the need for individuals well-versed in understanding societal complexities becomes increasingly vital. Our Department of Sociology is dedicated to producing graduates who possess a profound appreciation for cultural diversity, a keen awareness of social issues, and the analytical tools to contribute meaningfully to society. Whether our students aspire to careers in research, policy-making, advocacy, or community development, our programs are designed to cultivate well-rounded individuals equipped with a deep understanding of human behavior and social dynamics.
We invite you to embark on an enriching journey with us, where you will be immersed in a world of ideas, insights, and perspectives that will shape your understanding of the societies we inhabit. Join us in unraveling the mysteries of human interaction and societal structures, and discover the boundless opportunities that await within the Department of Sociology.
Welcome to the fascinating world of Sociology, where we unravel the intricacies of human behavior, societies, and the forces that shape our world. Our distinguished Undergraduate and Graduate Programs in Sociology offer an illuminating journey into the study of social structures, interactions, and the dynamics that influence individuals and communities.
- BS Sociology
- BS Criminology and Security Studies
- BS Gender and Women’s Studies
- ADP Sociology
- M Phil Sociology
- M Phil Criminology and Security Studies (Forthcoming)
- M Phil Gender and Women’s Studies (Forthcoming)
SALIENT FEATURES OF ACADEMIC PROGRAMS
Our Undergraduate Programs provide a captivating exploration of the social fabric that surrounds us. Through a rich and diverse curriculum, students delve into topics such as social inequality, cultural diversity, deviance, globalization, and the impact of technology on society. With a strong emphasis on critical thinking and research skills, graduates emerge with a profound understanding of social dynamics and are well-equipped for careers in areas like social services, community development, governance, research, advocacy, and policy analysis.
Building upon the foundation laid during the undergraduate years, our Graduate Programs delves deeper into advanced theoretical frameworks, research methodologies, and specialized areas of study. Students engage in rigorous research projects, seminars, and in-depth analysis, leading to the creation of original research contributions. This program equips graduates to become thought leaders, educators, researchers, and policy experts who contribute valuable insights to the field of sociology and its applications in various sectors.
BS and M. Phil in Sociology
Here are some salient features of our program that will shape our students’ learning experience:
- Interdisciplinary Exploration: Our programs offer an interdisciplinary approach, drawing from anthropology, psychology, economics, and political science, providing a holistic understanding of society, culture, social systems and societal dynamics.
- Critical Analysis: Enabling to develop the ability to critically analyze social phenomena, institutions, and systems, shedding light on the underlying mechanisms that drive social change.
- Diverse Specializations: Both programs allow students to specialize in areas such as criminology, gender studies, urban sociology, health disparities, environmental sociology, and more.
- Applied Research: The Graduate Program especially emphasizes research excellence, offering opportunities for students to conduct original research studies and social development projects that contribute to the advancement of sociological knowledge and improving social conditions in society at large.
- Policy and Advocacy: Students are empowered to address pressing social issues, influencing policy-making and advocating for positive change in society.
- Global Perspective: Our programs explore the impact of globalization, migration, and cultural interactions on societies, fostering a nuanced understanding of our interconnected world and its application.
- Community Engagement: Through internships, fieldwork, and collaborations with organizations, students gain practical experience and make meaningful contributions to real-world challenges.
- Historical Context: Sociology is studied through a historical lens, allowing students to trace the evolution of culture, social structures, social systems and dynamics of social change over time.
Whether you’re intrigued by the dynamics of communities, fascinated by the forces that drive societal change, or motivated to create a more just and equitable world, our Sociology programs provide the knowledge, skills, and perspective to embark on a meaningful journey for professional grooming to join the future generation of sociologists.
Join us in deciphering the intricate tapestry of human society and contributing to positive transformations that resonate across generations!
BS and M. Phil in Criminology and Security Studies
Criminology and Security Studies is an engaging and dynamic field that delves into the intricate web of crime, justice, social systems and societal security. The undergraduate and graduate programs in Criminology and Security Studies are designed to provide students with a comprehensive understanding of the factors shaping criminal behavior, the mechanisms of law enforcement and justice systems, and strategies to ensure the safety and well-being of individuals and communities.
A multidisciplinary approach to these programs combines elements of sociology, psychology, economics, forensic science, cyber security, law, and public policy to equip students with the knowledge and skills necessary to critically analyze criminal phenomena and contribute to the development of effective security solutions. Through a blend of theoretical exploration and practical application, students will explore salient topics such as criminal justice systems, crime prevention strategies, forensic science, cybercrime, terrorism studies, and ethical considerations in security management.
By fostering analytical thinking, ethical reasoning, and communication prowess, this program prepares graduates for a diverse range of careers in law enforcement, criminal justice administration, security consulting, research, policy analysis, and more. Join us in unraveling the complexities of crime and security to make a lasting impact on the safety and integrity of societies.
- Interdisciplinary Approach: Programs in Criminology and Security Studies adopt an interdisciplinary approach, drawing from fields such as sociology, psychology, law, political science, and more. This allows you to explore the multifaceted aspects of criminology and security from various angles, enhancing your analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Holistic Understanding of Crime: Gaining insights into the root causes of crime, its patterns, and its effects on individuals and communities. Through a blend of theoretical knowledge and real-world case studies, these programs help to develop a nuanced understanding of criminal behavior and its social implications.
- Security Paradigms: Delving into the diverse dimensions of security, ranging from cybersecurity and digital threats to national security and global terrorism. Understanding the strategies and technologies employed to mitigate risks and maintain safety in an evolving world.
- Expert Faculty: An opportunity of learning from experienced educators and professionals who are actively engaged in the fields of criminology and security. Benefiting from their practical insights, research expertise, and industry connections that bridge the gap between theory and practice.
- Hands-on Learning: Engaging in practical experiences through internships, fieldwork, and simulations. Apply classroom concepts to real-world scenarios, honing your problem-solving skills and preparing you for the challenges of the criminology and security landscape.
- Cutting-edge Research: Participation in and contribution to groundbreaking research projects that address contemporary issues in criminology and security. Developing research skills and making a meaningful impact on the field by exploring emerging trends and innovative solutions.
- Ethical and Legal Considerations: Examining the ethical dilemmas and legal frameworks surrounding crime and security interventions. Understanding the balance between personal freedoms and societal safety, fostering a responsible and informed perspective.
- Global Perspective: Exploring the global nature of crime and security challenges. Analyzing cross-border criminal activities, transnational threats, and the collaboration required among nations to ensure global security.
- Career Opportunities: Preparing for a wide array of career paths, including roles in law enforcement, policing, prosecution and prevention of crime, intelligence agencies, private security firms, policy analysis, cybersecurity, risk management, and more. Our programs equip the students with versatile skills that are applicable in both public and private sectors.
- Networking Opportunities: Connecting with fellow students, faculty, and professionals in the field through seminars, workshops, and conferences. Building a strong professional network that can open doors to internships, job placements, and collaborative projects.
In the Criminology and Security Studies undergraduate and graduate programs, students will learn to dissect the complexities of crime, dissect security challenges, and contribute to a safer and more just society.
Welcome and get ready to embark on a transformative educational journey in the field of Criminology and Security Studies that combines theory, practice, and critical inquiry.
BS and M. Phil in Gender and Women’s Studies
Welcome to the realm of Gender and Women’s Studies, a field dedicated to unraveling the complexities of gender identities, power dynamics, social justice and promoting a deeper understanding of women’s experiences across cultures and societies. Our comprehensive Undergraduate and Graduate Programs in Gender and Women’s Studies offer a transformative educational journey that examines the multifaceted dimensions and intersections of gender, sexuality, race, class, and other identity markers of gender with its profound impact on societies.
Programs in Gender and Women’s Studies provide students with a critical lens to analyze the social construction of gender, the historical evolution of women’s roles, and the challenges faced by marginalized communities. Through a blend of interdisciplinary coursework, students will explore feminist theories, gender representation in media, women’s health and vulnerabilities, family and gender-based violence, and global gender inequalities. This program fosters critical thinking, empathy, and advocacy skills, empowering graduates to contribute to social change, gender equality, and gender mainstreaming policy development initiatives.
Our Undergraduate Program in Gender and Women’s Studies offers an enriching exploration of gender dynamics across cultures and disciplines. Through an interdisciplinary approach, students delve into feminist theories, historical contexts of gender roles, intersectionality, and the diverse experiences of women and marginalized genders. The curriculum is designed to ignite intellectual curiosity, encourage nuanced dialogue, and cultivate a deep understanding of social inequalities. Graduates emerge with a well-rounded perspective, ready to engage in diverse careers, activism, and further studies in related fields.
Students engage in rigorous research and scholarship, focusing on areas such as feminist epistemologies, queer theory, intersectionality, and transnational feminism. These programs are rigorous and offer intellectually stimulating journeys for those seeking to advance their understanding and contribute to cutting-edge research in the field. Students have the opportunity to delve into advanced feminist theories, critical methodologies, and intersectional analyses. With a focus on original research, graduates are groomed and equipped to generate new insights into gender and its multifaceted connections. Our Gender and Women’s Studies programs prepare scholars, educators, policy analysts, and advocates to make impactful contributions to academia, social justice, and policy reforms and implementation.
- Interdisciplinary Approach: Our programs draw from diverse fields such as sociology, anthropology, psychology, literature, history, and political science, providing a holistic understanding of gender issues and applying gender lens on women’s issues.
- Intersectional Perspective: An emphasis on the interconnectedness of gender with other social identities, fostering a deeper appreciation for the complexities of lived experiences.
- Critical Analysis: Students learn to critically assess societal norms, institutions, and power structures that perpetuate gender inequalities, enabling them to challenge the status quo.
- Social Justice Focus: Programs are rooted in principles of social justice, encouraging students to address systemic oppression, promote inclusivity, and advocate for marginalized voices.
- Research Opportunities: Offering extensive research opportunities, allowing students to contribute original insights to the field through research theses and projects.
- Community Engagement: Through partnerships and outreaches, students have the chance to apply their knowledge in real-world contexts, collaborating with organizations working towards gender equity.
- Global Perspective: Equipping the students with knowledge and skills enabling them to examine gender dynamics across cultures, preparing them to engage with international issues and contribute meaningfully to global debates and dialogues on gender relevant issues and women’s rights.
With a strong emphasis on multidisciplinary approach and independent research, these programs equip graduates to become thought leaders, researchers, educators, and activists driving forward gender-inclusive agendas in academia, policy, governance, and advocacy.
Whether the students who are aspiring for or embarking on an academic journey to better understand gender complexities and aiming to make a tangible impact in the realm of gender and women’s issues for promoting social justice, our Gender and Women’s Studies programs provide the knowledge, skills, and perspectives to drive positive change in society.
Prof. Dr. Saeed Ahmad Watto
LL. B (Bachelor in Law)
Chairperson, Department of Sociology
Dr. Saeed Ahmad Watto is an accomplished academician and sociologist with a deep-rooted passion for understanding and dissecting the intricate dynamics of human behavior, culture and society. Have the privilege of serving as a senior civil servant in federal and provincial governments in social development and education sectors. A distinguished researcher with a portfolio of groundbreaking research, and committed to unraveling the complexities of societal behavior, nurturing intellectual curiosity in students, and contributing significantly to the field of sociology through research and scholarly activities.
Professional journey has been marked by a dynamic interplay of teaching, research, administration, and leadership in public and private sectors. Have the privilege of inspiring, grooming and nurturing the intellect of a large number of students presently serving and leading reputed national and international organizations.
Continuously engaged in the academic discourse, authored numerous articles in esteemed peer-reviewed journals, offering insights into critical issues such as gender and family violence, social justice, globalization, and cultural dynamics. The publications reflect his dedication to empirical rigor and theoretical innovation, fostering conversations that resonate within academic and professional circles.
Beyond the classroom, led research teams, and collaborated with academia and research scholars. Actively engaged in diverse research and development projects, collaborating with interdisciplinary teams, contributing valuable insights to academia and offering practical solutions to real-world challenges.